Training and Development
Here’s where Vision Express really stand out from the crowd. You’ll not only get the training and support you need to be an expert in your role, you’ll also have the opportunity to grow a truly unique career, if that’s what you want. You might want to be a manager or go on to be a Registered Optical professional but the outcome is the same for everyone working at Vision Express – you’ll become an expert delivering a truly individual service.
Learning at Vision Express is fun and takes place in a mix of ways, including e-learning, on the job and in the classroom. It’s interesting, interactive and informative, and most of all it builds your skills, knowledge, confidence and career, whatever your role or experience when you start.
How fast and in what roles you develop is down to you, but your Manager is always on hand to encourage you and help you plan for your future. There’s always room to progress including potential to gain professional qualifications, with company sponsorship for careers such as Dispensing Opticians, Contact Lens Opticians or even Optometrists.
Your Manager is fully up to speed with what’s available, and together you can take advantage of it all. All of this will become clear when you join us but it all starts with induction – for everyone. Further training includes:
- Our Steps to Success development programme is ideal for Store Support staff and offers core staged programmes referred to as Bronze – Stage 1 (your first 3 months) and Silver – Stage 2 (your next 18 months), both of which are minimum standards here at Vision Express. You can then go on to complete Gold – Stage 3. At every stage of the journey you’ll come away with new skills and knowledge to help you grow in your role.
- We also offer an Apprenticeship programme which provides individuals with an entry route into a career in optical retailing. The programme has a structured training and development path which covers all aspects of retail and the world of optics. The programme lasts for 13 months and the way in which it has been designed means there is every opportunity for Apprentices to stay with our business once they complete the programme.
- For those individuals wishing to grow their career in management, we have our Rising Stars Training Academy which is made up of leadership development programmes. The programmes are dedicated to growing talent within our business from Team Leaders to Senior Managers. For those Managers who want to re-fresh their skills and knowledge we have stand alone core management modules designed for this purpose.
- For our Professional team members there are opportunities to gain additional CET points including peer reviews and a professional induction to ensure we’re all delivering a consistent and professional service to our customers. There’s also the opportunity, if you want to, to share your expertise and become a supervisor for the next generation of Optometrists, Contact Lens Opticians and Dispensing Opticians.
- Trainee Contact Lens and Dispensing Optician Sponsorship Programme. If you’d like to become a qualified Contact Lens Optician or Dispensing Optician then Vision Express is a great place to be. We offer our employees a sponsorship programme to support them with their ambition. As well as financial assistance, this programme includes revision courses and one-on-one support from a dedicated mentor.
- If you’re working in our Support Office you’ll have a comprehensive induction on joining and be encouraged to complete Steps to Success. There are other training programmes available specific by department including Management Development along with sponsorship of specific professional qualifications across all Support Office departments. For example, in our Finance team we sponsor a number of our people to gain qualifications such as CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accounts) or ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants).